Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 945 Trust : Clwyd Powys Site Type : Masonry castle Period : Medieval Community : Aberedw NGR : SO0763747388 Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument
Description : Small rectangular masonry castle and associated defences (west side destroyed by railway) comprising remains of curtain wall with towers at north-east and south-east corners. Moat visible on north, south and east sides. Entrance remaining in east side.
Most of W side has been destroyed by construction of railway, but inner face of curtain wall has been preserved in parts. E curtain wall stands to 1.9m in sections, but the ditch sides opposite are eroding. SE corner tower stood to a considerable height until recently when most of it collapsed witha fallen tree. Along N side curtain wall is well preserved in places, but NE corner tower is also falling away. Much broken stone in ditch on N. Possible enclosure bank on SW, but it is mostly obscured by a building. (Cadw 1985)
The stone castle almost certainly dates from c1284 for Walter Hakelutel received a licence to crenellate by 1285 (Silvester, R J 1994b, 12).
Survey carried out by CPAT for Cadw in 1994 identified the main components of the castle but highlighted their poor condition and the active erosion that is taking place (Jones, N & Frost, P 1994, 76-8; Jones, N W 1995b).
No significant change in condition since 1994, though some erosion possible. (Cadw 2000)