Dyfed Archaeological Trust Historic Environment
of this information is subject to the terms and conditions of access to
Welsh HER data published on DAT's website
This information is supplied
for the purposes of personal interest only and may not be used as part
of a commercial project.
contact the HER if you have any further questions regarding this information,
if you would like any of the sources followed up or if you have information
that could improve the record in any way. Primary Reference Numbers (PRNs)
should be quoted in any correspondence.
TREFIN BISHOPS PALACEPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 2846
Trust : Dyfed
Site Type : Bishops palace
Period : Medieval
Community : Llanrhian
NGR : SM8404032410
Legal Protection :
Possible site of mediaeval Bishop's Palace.
Possible location of medieval Bishop's Palace as suggested in historical documents. The nature of the bishops residence is unclear. The lack of remains and relatively early disappearance suggest it might have been a mainly timber structure.
Leland writes the bishop of St Davids 'hath a place'.
in the village of Tredine. A manor house of the bishops, called in the 'Black Book' Trefdyn. Fenton says the site was traditionally known locally as Bishop Martin's palace (Bishop Martin was appointed in 1482) and possibly of his founding. He records that during his visit he discovered fragments of walls over a large vault, similar to those under the palace at St Davids. Approximately 1200m northeast is Long House Grange (PRN 2847) that Fenton notes was 'formerly the grange belonging to and adjoining the episcopal manor of Trefine or Tredyne, now a straggling village'.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales describes the parish of Llanrhian as containing '.....the large village of Trevine. A grange or palace of the Bishops of St. David's, was at Trevine; and a vault of it still exists'.
Rees (1932) shows a court house in this area in the 14th century.
Irregular surface markings (PRN 7573) are thought locally to be the site of the palace. Some ill-defined marshy hollows (PRN 7574) may indicate remains of fishponds. Access to the site was not gained in 2011. F Murphy 2012
, 2846.pdf ( © DAT)
Page, M and Murphy, F , 2012 , Later Medieval and Early Post-Medieval Threat Related Assessment Work 2012: Monasteries ( © DAT)
DAT , 1976 , CR ,
Fenton,R , 1811 , Hist.Tour Through Pemb ,
Jones & Freeman , 1856 , Hist.& Ants of St.Davids ,
Laws & Owen , 1908 , Pemb.Arch.Survey ,
Lewis,S , 1833 , Topog.Dict.Wales ,
Many , 1989 , P.A. Residential development, land adjoining to Pantyffynnon, Trefin ,
OS , 1966 ,
Rees,W , 1932 , S.Wales & Border in 14th c. ,
Saxton,C , 1578 , Penbrok ,
John Marius Wilson , 1872 , Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales ,
Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1906 , Leland's Itinerary in Wales ,
67369 : TREVINE, FIELD OBSERVATION, 1966 (year : 1966)
102639 : CADW THREAT RELATED ASSESSMENT 2012: MONASTERIES (year : 2012)
Related PRNs : 7573, 7574
May 20, 2013, 1:38 pm
- Html file produced from the Regional Historic Environment Record:
Archaeological Trust, The Shire Hall, 8 Carmarthen Street, Llandeilo
01558 823131, Fax: 01558 823133
data, from the Historic Environment Record, supplied by The Dyfed Archaeological
Trust in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX
© DAT, 2013 (and in part © Crown, 2013).