Dyfed Archaeological Trust Historic Environment Record

Use of this information is subject to the terms and conditions of access to Welsh HER data published on DAT's website
www.dyfedarchaeology.org.uk
This information is supplied for the purposes of personal interest only and may not be used as part of a commercial project.

Please contact the HER if you have any further questions regarding this information, if you would like any of the sources followed up or if you have information that could improve the record in any way. Primary Reference Numbers (PRNs) should be quoted in any correspondence.
 

TRELISSEY

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 7435
Trust : Dyfed
Site Type : Defended Enclosure
Period : Iron Age
Community : Amroth
NGR : SN17500785
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
Trelissey is an almost circular earthwork enclosure with an internal diameter of c.71m. It occupies a gentle south-facing slope at 91m above sea level, and commands wide-ranging views to the southwest, south and southeast over Carmarthen Bay.

The site was partially excavated in 1950-51 by Thomas and Walker. They described the site as univallate, with an inner bank, a ditch and a counterscarp bank. The defences were best preserved on the south and southeast sides where the inner bank stood 1.8m above the ditch and was steep enough not to be ploughed over, and the outer bank stood 0.5m - 0.7m high above the external ground surface. The inner bank was described as approximately level with the sloping interior around the enclosure. A gap in the defences on the southwest side marked a simple entrance.

Since the excavations the site has been occasionally ploughed to improve the pasture. The defences are best preserved on the south side, with the inner bank standing up to 1.5m high externally. There is here, however, no trace of the ditch or the counterscarp bank. Indeed the only clear indication of the ditch is a slight linear hollow 0.1m deep on the northeast side of the enclosure. The inner bank stands 0.2m - 0.3m above the interior, but apart from on the south side it is poorly preserved, generally standing 0.3 - 0.5m externally. There is now no trace of a counterscarp bank and the entrance gap evident in 1950-51 has gone apart from a slight lowering of the earthworks at its location. A level platform on the northeast side of the internal area may mark the site of a building.

The excavations revealed a rectangular stone-built structure associated with a quantity of Roman building material and other finds. The enclosure is of Iron Age type; the excavations indicate continued use of the site into the Roman Period.

The site is under improved pasture.

K Murphy 3 November 2006

Description :
The site was partially excavated in 1950-51 by Thomas and Walker. They described the site as univallate, with an inner bank, a ditch and a counterscarp bank. The defences were best preserved on the south and southeast sides where the inner bank stood 1.8m above the ditch and was steep enough not to be ploughed over, and the outer bank stood 0.5m - 0.7m high above the external ground surface. The inner bank was described as approximately level with the sloping interior around the enclosure. A gap in the defences on the southwest side marked a simple entrance.

Since the excavations the site has been occasionally ploughed to improve the pasture. The defences are best preserved on the south side, with the inner bank standing up to 1.5m high externally. There is here, however, no trace of the ditch or the counterscarp bank. Indeed the only clear indication of the ditch is a slight linear hollow 0.1m deep on the northeast side of the enclosure. The inner bank stands 0.2m - 0.3m above the interior, but apart from on the south side it is poorly preserved, generally standing 0.3 - 0.5m externally. There is now no trace of a counterscarp bank and the entrance gap evident in 1950-51 has gone apart from a slight lowering of the earthworks at its location. A level platform on the northeast side of the internal area may mark the site of a building.

The excavations revealed a rectangular stone-built structure associated with a quantity of Roman building material and other finds. The enclosure is of Iron Age type; the excavations indicate continued use of the site into the Roman Period.

The site is under improved pasture.

K Murphy 3 November 2006

Sources :
CADW , 2010 , Notification of scheduling
K Murphy, R Ramsey, P Poucher and M Page , 2007 , A SURVEY OF DEFENDED ENCLOSURES IN PEMBROKESHIRE, 2006-07: GAZETTEER OF ORDNANCE SURVEY GRID SQUARES SN10, SN11 & SN12
, 1959 , Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies ,
Branigan,K , 1972 , Archaeologia Cambrensis ,
Crossley,DW , 1963 , Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies ,
DAT , 1976 , CR ,
James,TA , 1978 , TAJ-AP-SN1707 ,
Meridian Airmaps , 1955 ,
Murphy,K , 2004 , Assessment of Prehistoric Defended Enclosures 2004-5, Report No 2004-100 ,
OS , 1810 ,
OS , 1908 , 6" ,
OS , 1972 ,
OS , 1974 ,
RAF , 1946 ,
Rigg,J , 1977 , Pembrokeshire Enclosure lists ,
Savory,HN , 1964 , The Land of Dyfed ,
St.Joseph,JK ,
St.Joseph,JK , 1961 , Antiquity ,
Thomas & Walker,WG & RF , 1958-60 , Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies ,
Wainwright,GJ , 1967 , Coygan Camp ,

Events :
70320 : TRELISSEY, PARTIAL EXCAVATION, 1950-1 (year : 1950-1)
87361 : TRELISSEY, FIELD OBSERVATION, 1965 (year : 1965)
90654 : TRELISSEY, FIELD OBSERVATION, 1975 (year : 1975)
56594 : PREHISTORIC DEFENDED ENCLOSURES: PEMBROKESHIRE (year : 2007)

Related PRNs : 52108, 3664, 7452


Images :



September 1, 2014, 6:34 pm - Html file produced from the Regional Historic Environment Record:
Dyfed Archaeological Trust, The Shire Hall, 8 Carmarthen Street, Llandeilo
Carmarthenshire. SA19 6AF
Tel: 01558 823131, Fax: 01558 823133
Email: info@dyfedarchaeology.org.uk Website:www.dyfedarchaeology.org.uk
Archaeological data, from the Historic Environment Record, supplied by The Dyfed Archaeological Trust in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © DAT, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).