Gwynedd Archaeological Trust
Regional Historic Environment Record

Y Werthyr Hillfort, Llanddeusant

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 2077
Trust : Gwynedd
Site Type : HILLFORT
Period : Roman
Community : Tref Alaw
NGR : SH36338431
Legal Protection : Scheduled Ancient Monument

Description :
Ancient camp (multivallate earthwork depicted). <1>

Y Werthyr (site of). <2>

Earthwork 1500 yards east of the old church, on a small hill on the 200ft contour. It has been almost obliterated by ploughing, but on the south side where it is best preserved; three parallel concentric ramparts are visible, all greatly denuded. On the other sides, the line of the defences can be traced only faintly. On the northeast is a possible entrance with indications of an overlap. Internal diameter north to south is 100 yards. <3>

Circular earthwork visible on APs (SH36338431). Multivallation (on south) faintly visible. <4>

A hill fort in a commanding position but largely ploughed down. It is multivallate on the south where there are two low scarps (0.6m) with an outer bank (0.3m) and ditch (1.0m). The east side is a ploughed down bank with a simple entrance in the northeast that is probably original. On west and north the course of the bank is faintly visible. <5>

Presence of more than one bank and ditch suggest a pre-roman date, however a post-roman or even an early Medieval date cannot be ruled out. <6>

Although greatly ploughed out, Y Werthyr is still an imposing site. A rampart is slightly visible in the north with a double rampart also to be seen in the northeast. An entrance can be seen cutting through this double rampart at the northeast. The other rampart can be faintly traced from the west round to the south, and all three defensive ramparts can be traced in the south. The fortifications are more easily identifiable from the nearby road about 100 yards away. The side is receded and ploughed out yearly so it inevitably will be fairly destroyed. <7>

The monument comprises the remains of a small sub-circular bivallate hillfort, which probably dates to the Iron Age period (c. 800 BC - AD 43). It is located on a low rounded hill and the earthwork banks and ditches surrounding the summit of the hill are most well-preserved on the S and E sides, with a maximum height of 0.5m. Geophysical survey results indicate that there may be up to eight circular house platforms preserved within the interior of the hillfort, on the E side. An entrance is evident on the NE side of the site. The hillfort measures 186m (SW-NE) by 165m (W-E). <8>

Sources :
Halfpenney, I. , 2009 , Y Werthyr Hillfort
Ordnance Survey , 1818 , No. 317E , <1>
Ordnance Survey , 1907 , SH38SE , <2>
Royal Commission on Ancient and Historic Monuments , 1937 , Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Anglesey , <3>
Royal Air Force , 1945 , 1066/UK655/3317-8 , <4>
Ordnance Survey , 1969 , SH38SE 6 , <5>
Lynch, F. , 1970 , Prehistoric Anglesey , <6>
Harkness, M. D. , 1987 , PRN 2077 , <7>
Cadw , 2010 , Y Werthyr Hillfort , <8>
Smith, G. , 2005 , Archaeology in Wales , <9>
Hopewell, D. & Smith, G. , 2006 , Archaeology in Wales , <10>

Events :
42232 : Prn 2077 Gat Site Visit (year : 1987)
43835 : Scheduling Visit: Y Werthyr Hillfort (year : 2009)

Related PRNs :


The above data are supplied by GAT in partnership with its Local Authorities (Anglesey, Conwy and Gwynedd County Councils, and Snowdonia National Park Authority), © GAT 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014 - as indicated)
This information is supplied for the purposes of personal interest only and may not be used as part of a commercial project.

September 3, 2014, 6:57 am - HTML file produced from Gwynedd Archaeological Trust Regional HER
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Craig Beuno, Garth Road, Bangor, Gwynedd.  LL57 2RT
tel (01248) 352535,  fax (01248) 370925, email her@heneb.co.uk, web www.heneb.co.uk