The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
IRON AND COAL PATCHING AT PEN-FFORDD-GOCH, BLAENAVONPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 00056g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Site Type : Mine
Period : Post-Medieval
Community : Llanfoist Fawr
NGR : SO25701070
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument
An exceptionally rich area of diverse features related to patching and scouring for iron ore and coal, set within a larger landscape of mineral extraction which has been worked from at least the C17th when ore was dug from outcrops around the hilltop.
An exceptionally rich area of diverse features related to patching and scouring for iron ore and coal, set within a larger landscape of mineral working. The site is grouped with the scheduled monuments of Blaenavon Ironworks, Pwll du Quarry and Garnddyrys Forge. This was an area of iron ore extraction from at least the 17th century. Ore was dug from outcrops either side of the hilltop, and water employed to scour soil and clean dug ore. Extraction grew for Blaenavon Ironworks after 1788, but the area was largely worked out by the early to mid-19th century. One of the main scours (SO 2623 1060 to SO 2560 1010) was in its present form before 1812, and Pen-ffordd-goch or 'Forge' Pond (PRN 3355g, SO 2550 1086) shows scouring around SO 2570 1070 was completed before c1817. Many levels were established by 1812, allocated in patches to named miners. Early and well preserved features include leats, ponds, hushing dams, scours, deposition areas, tips, shaft mounds, levels, boundaries, tracks, and tramroad formations. A subsidence feature clearly illustrates pillar and stall workings near SO 2579 1072. Good hushes and leats survive around SO 2555 1010. Further leats are bisected by a stockpile tip extent by 1812 for limestone at SO 2544 1018. A weighing machine existed near SO 2548 1048.
/Letter/Application for Scheduled Monument consent/Kevern R/2008
01/Desc Text/Cadw/ Full Management Report/2006/ Copy in further information file
Related PRNs : 3345-6g, 3348-52g, 3355-7g, 34
August 27, 2014, 6:56 pm
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown,