The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an
The following information is from the
on-line database Archwilio
TRAMWAY EMBANKMENT OF GROSMONT RAILWAYPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 00201g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Crucorney
NGR : SO3311321085
Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Tramway
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument
Massive earth embankment c6-8m high, with a flat top measuring c2m wide, which carried the line of the Grosmont Railway which was one of a chain of 3 inter-connecting tramways running from Abergavenny to Hereford in the early 19th century.
Massive section of earth embankment c6-8m high, with a flat top measuring c2m wide, which carried the line of the Grosmont Railway across a broad shallow valley north of Llanvihangel Court. Numerous stone setts are still in position, many bearing the imprint of the ends of the iron 'chairs'. The Grosmont Railway was one of a chain of 3 inter-connecting tramways running from Abergavenny to Hereford. The Act for the 3 tramways was passed in 1812 and the Llanvihangel Tramway opening in March 1814. It was extended to join Grosmont tramway in 1818. In January 1845 the promoters of the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway (now the main Hereford-Newport line) offered to buy the tramroads. The new company got its Act of Parliament in 1846 and took over the 3 tramways on 1 January 1850. The new railway opened and the tramways closed on 1 May 1853. The embankment is now mostly tree and scrub covered. It has been damaged by erosion caused by people and cattle, and in the middle there is a deep cutting where a small stream crosses the embankment.
Related PRNs : 34971
December 7, 2016, 2:25 pm
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2016 (and in part © Crown,