The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

Procurator's House (aka Magor Mansion)

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00453g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Magor With Undy
NGR : ST42488701
Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval House
Legal Protection : listed building II*, registered parks and gardens II*, scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
A small 16th century whitewashed rubble building with slate roof, earlier records of the structure note that the structure retains many of its original features (including 2-storeys with 2 front moulded stone mullioned windows).

However, it has also been reported to GGAT that the house may have been demolished by Monmouthshire Council in the 1960s/70s during re-development - and that the only retaining feature is part of the staircase and fireplace (Jones 2013). RCAHMW also note that the house is in a ruinous state, that the structure was a rubble built house, c.1500-1550, abutting the churchyard wall at Magor (RCAHMW 2003).

Description :
A small 16th century whitewashed rubble building with slate roof, earlier records of the structure note that the structure retains many of its original features (including 2-storeys with 2 front moulded stone mullioned windows).

However, it has also been reported to GGAT that the house may have been demolished by Monmouthshire Council in the 1960s/70s during re-development - and that the only retaining feature is part of the staircase and fireplace (Jones 2013). RCAHMW also note that the house is in a ruinous state, that the structure was a rubble built house, c.1500-1550, abutting the churchyard wall at Magor (RCAHMW 2003).

Sources :
RCAHMW , National Monuments Record ( © )
, Archwilio App Submission
10/PM List/Cadw/1995/Listed Buildings Lists
09/ Slides/GGAT/Lawler M/5.94
11/PM Desc Text/Thomas H & Williams D/1992/Monmouth Antiquary volVIII
02/MM Oral/OS/Evans C/1957
06/MM Desc Text/RCAHM/1978/Gwent Ms
05/PM Desc Text/DOE/1972/Ancs Mons Bd Wales Ann Rep 9/p19
03/MM Record Card/OS/1957/ST 48 NW 3
04/MM Record Card/OS/1979/ST 48 NW 10
08/PM Desc Text/Birbeck T/1978/Chepstow Society/Caldicot & District Old Houses & Families
07/PM Desc Text/DOE/1977/Ancs Mons Bd Wales Ann Rep 14
01/PM Desc Text/Evans CJO/1954/Monm Hist & Topog/p394-6

Events :

Related PRNs : 451G


November 23, 2014, 12:46 am - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).