The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGATs website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

THE BERRIES

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00496g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Caldicot
NGR : ST48738951
Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Motte and bailey
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
Please note that some of the sources contain information that, as yet, has not been included in this description field. This will be updated in due course. Castle mound & bailey, the latter surrounded by a wet ditch.

Description :
Please note that some of the sources contain information that, as yet, has not been included in this description field. This will be updated in due course.
Castle mound & bailey, the latter surrounded by a wet ditch. 2 elongated mounds S of the castle mound are merely the bailey bank across the neck of dry land.

Phillips notes that Mount Ballan is situated within private property and is also known as The Berries with evidence of a surrounding ditch and a 2.9m earthen rampart. The top surface area of the motte is noted as being quite small (4.16m in height and a surface area of 67.688m²), and notes rectilinear features on the raised bailey indicating foundations. Whilst the majority of the bailey does not possess a ditch, it is suggested that the site was constructed as an island utilising the boggy terrain as a defence (thought this would require great effort). Another theory is that this is a natural feature or that it is a site re-used by Normans, and Phillips recommends evaluation of the shallow earthworks by excavation or geophysical survey (Phillips 2004).

Sources :
Phillips, N Dr , 2004 , Thesis: Earthwork Castles of Gwent and Ergyng AD 1050 – 1250
03/PM List//Min of Works/1955/Anc.Mons in Eng & Wales/p93
05/PM Desc Text/MSW/Scott-Garrett C/1951/Arch Camb/pt2 p163-5 The
02/MM Notes/Newport Mus/Downman EA/1910//Plan
Berries, Chick, Gwent.
04/MM Record Card/OS//1957/ST 48 NE 14/
01/PM Desc Text//Scott-Garrett/1951/Arch Camb/150 p163-4
07/Desc Text/Cadw/Full Management Report/2005/Copy in further information file

Events :
E003901 : DBA at Church Farm, Caldicot (year : 1993)
E004063 : Earthwork Castles of Gwent and Ergyng AD 1050 – 1250 (year : 2004)

Related PRNs :


November 28, 2014, 11:58 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).