The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

Old Blast Furnace, Angidy Ironworks

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00712g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Tintern
NGR : SO51350029
Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Furnace
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
What is now known as 'The Old Blast Furnace' was most likely in operation from the 17th century to c.1826 and it is thought to be the first charcoal house to have a non-bellowed, blowing cylinder. The site is associated with a leat (c.502m) running from the a pond to the furnace pond carried to the wheel by stone pillars. Remaining features include a surviving wheel pit, an ore-dressing floor, casting beds, bellows site(made redundant by iron blowing cylinders) and a furnace to full height. There are also indications that the furnace had a possible diameter of 3m (Parry 2011, RCAHMW; Association for Industrial Archaeology 2003).

Description :
What is now known as 'The Old Blast Furnace' was most likely in operation from the 17th century to c.1826 and it is thought to be the first charcoal house to have a non-bellowed, blowing cylinder. The site is associated with a leat (c.502m) running from the a pond to the furnace pond carried to the wheel by stone pillars. Remaining features include a surviving wheel pit, an ore-dressing floor, casting beds, bellows site(made redundant by iron blowing cylinders) and a furnace to full height. There are also indications that the furnace had a possible diameter of 3m (Parry 2011, RCAHMW; Association for Industrial Archaeology 2003).

From 1669 the site was under the direction of the Foleys in partnership with John Hanbury, and it was subsequently leased and run by David Tanner. The cast-iron was sent to the Stour Valley Forges. The Royal Commission on Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales note that the site was excavated by Gwent County Council in 1979-81, producing on-site interpretive panels (Parry 2011, RCAHMW; Association for Industrial Archaeology 2003)



Sources :
RCAHMW , National Monuments Record ( © GGAT)
Association for Industrial Archaeology , 2003 , A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South-East Wales: A Powerhouse of Industry
Desc Text/Cadw/Full Management Report/2007/Copy in further information file.
02/desc text/Cadw/2009/Application for Scheduled Monument Consent/copy in further information file
03/Desc Text/Cadw/Application for Grant Aid/2008/Copy in further information file.

Events :
E003211 : Angidy River, Tintern Archaeological DBA (year : 2008)
E003232 : Angidy River, Tintern (year : 2008)
E003306 : Proposed Pipeline Alongside the Angidy River, Tintern Eval (year : 2009)
E003952 : Furnace Cottage, Tintern (year : 2007)

Related PRNs : 09517g, 10238g


October 21, 2014, 5:22 am - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).