The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an
The following information is from the
on-line database Archwilio
TUMP TERRETPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 00855g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Trellech United
NGR : SO49990535
Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Motte
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument
This large steep-sided grass covered mound was first documented in 1231. In 1306 it was described as "the site of the old castle". The mound has a flat top with some erosion to the S, and a small hollow in the centre. Only the N side is ditched.
Large steep-sided grass covered mound c5m high. It has a flat top c14m in diameter, with a small hollow in the centre and a bite out of the top of the S side.
No ditch outside the mound on S or W sides, on N side is a wide flat-bottomed ditch 4m wide and 2.2m deep. On E side is a slight ditch c0.7m deep.
First documented in 1231 and described as "the site of the old castle" in 1306.
Phillips notes that Trelech earthwork comprises an earthen mound with steep sides; the motte is surrounded by a levelled ditch (excepting the south and west sides) and it was first recorded on a sketch-plan made sometime between 1937 and 1940 by Kay which shows the complete ditch before it was damaged by the farm buildings. The north section of the earthwork survives the best. The motte (height of 5.58m, a top surface area of 142.762mÂ² and an estimated volume of 2236.956mÂ³) has a natural base indicating that its present base of 758.373mÂ² is close to original. The surviving northern ditch separates a raised portion of land from the motte; Phillips records that at this point the depth is 2.6m with a bottom width of 4.3m and refers to excavations and a geophysical survey made in 2002-3 indicating a new interpretation of where the position of the bailey. Phillips concludes by interpreting the site as an early motte and bailey built during the initial conquest of the area, speculating on its original size and indicating major defensive issues (Phillips 2004).
Phillips, N Dr , 2004 , Thesis: Earthwork Castles of Gwent and Ergyng AD 1050 â€“ 1250
02/PM List/Cadw/1986/Scheduled Monument Consent Application
03/Desc Text/Cadw/ Full Management Report/2006/ Copy in further information file
03/Desc Text/Cadw/Full Management Report/2007/Copy in further information file.
E004063 : Earthwork Castles of Gwent and Ergyng AD 1050 â€“ 1250 (year : 2004)
Related PRNs :
February 14, 2016, 8:03 am
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2016 (and in part © Crown,