The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
LLANVAIR CASTLEPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 00996g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Caerwent
NGR : ST44579241
Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Castle
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument
The castle sits on a wooded hillside directly above the parish church of St. Mary in the village of Llanvair Discoed, near Caerwent. A series of overgrown earthworks and substantial fragments of masonry walls, all unconsolidated and over-run with tree roots. A private house and garden occupies part of the castle enclosure. (Davis 2010)
The castle sits on a wooded hillside directly above the parish church of St. Mary in the village of Llanvair Discoed, near Caerwent. A series of overgrown earthworks and substantial fragments of masonry walls, all unconsolidated and over-run with tree roots. A private house and garden occupies part of the castle enclosure.
The castle is built upon a shelf sloping down from the main upland of Grey Hill towards the Caerwent plain. The southern quadrant of the site is protected by a ditch and counterscarp bank which is damaged by a later quarry, and the ditch on the east side is less preserved. The earthworks form two separate enclosures, including the upper/west enclosure which is a roughly D-shaped platform occupied by a modern house and garden that has removed all early features except fro a low curtain wall and the base of a round tower on the south flank. The second enclosure, the lower or east enclosure, has the main visible stonework of the castle and is subdivided into two walled courtyards. There is a noticeable difference in ground level between the east and west enclosures. For further information please see PRN file. (Davis 2010)
Phillips notes that Llanfair Discoed castle was part of a network of six castles surrounding Wentwood thought to have been constructed in order to â€˜keep the natives in checkâ€™. Located on private land, the castle is very overgrown and is interpreted as a masonry castle with no sign of the existence of a motte (Phillips 2004).
Davis, P. R , 2009 , Llanvair Discoed castle, Monmouthshire
Phillips, N Dr , 2004 , Thesis: Earthwork Castles of Gwent and Ergyng AD 1050 â€“ 1250
E004063 : Earthwork Castles of Gwent and Ergyng AD 1050 â€“ 1250 (year : 2004)
Related PRNs :
December 21, 2014, 9:18 am
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: email@example.com Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown,