The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

DINHAM CASTLE

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 01049g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Site Type : Castle
Period : Medieval
Community : Caerwent
NGR : ST48029234
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
Phillips notes that Dinham Castle, situated within woodland to the north of RAF Caerwent, possesses a masonry wall base overgrown by vegetation and was part of a network of six castles surrounding Wentwood thought to have been constructed in order to ‘keep the natives in check’ (though it is suggested that it might have been to ensure the rights of the forest). It has been described by Salter as the remains of a 13th century tower with courtyard and outbuildings possibly built on an earlier site of 1150 (Salter 2002). Phillips concludes that there is no evidence to suggest that there was ever a motte and bailey castle at this site but the remains of a masonry structure are evident (Phillips 2004).

Description :
Phillips notes that Dinham Castle, situated within woodland to the north of RAF Caerwent, possesses a masonry wall base overgrown by vegetation and was part of a network of six castles surrounding Wentwood thought to have been constructed in order to ‘keep the natives in check’ (though it is suggested that it might have been to ensure the rights of the forest). It has been described by Salter as the remains of a 13th century tower with courtyard and outbuildings possibly built on an earlier site of 1150 (Salter 2002). Phillips concludes that there is no evidence to suggest that there was ever a motte and bailey castle at this site but the remains of a masonry structure are evident (Phillips 2004).

Sources :
Phillips, N (Dr) , 2008 , Topographic Survey, Dinham Castle, Shirenewton
Phillips, N Dr , 2004 , Thesis: Earthwork Castles of Gwent and Ergyng AD 1050 – 1250

Events :
E000002 : Topographic Survey, Dinham Castle, Shirenewton (year : 2008)
E004063 : Earthwork Castles of Gwent and Ergyng AD 1050 – 1250 (year : 2004)

Related PRNs :


April 25, 2014, 5:05 am - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).