The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an
The following information is from the
on-line database Archwilio
CANAL CUTTING, TENNANT CANALPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 01070.14w
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Dyffryn Clydach
NGR : SS7330197247
Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval canal cutting
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument
The Scheduled section of the Tennant Canal at Skewen, which comprises the Skewen cutting, a well-preserved section of the Tennant Canal and includes an associated tramroad bridge. The section measures about 360m in length.
Section of the Tennant Canal at Skewen scheduled as an ancient monument. The citation reads:
CANAL CUTTING, TENNANT CANAL
The monument comprises the Skewen cutting, a well-preserved section of the Tennant Canal and includes an associated tramroad bridge. The section measures about 360m in length and up to 100m in width. The section includes a tramroad bridge LBII.
The Tennant canal was built between 1820 and 1824 by engineer William Kirkhouse. The head of the canal was at Aberdulais, where it joined the Neath canal, while it ended at Port Tennant on the coast of Swansea Bay. The canal carried traffic until the 1930s. The Skewen cutting contains a stone-lined bed, which was laid in 1821 in the form of an inverted arch and constructed in order to counter problems of quicksand.
N Maylan , 2007 , Digital photographs (87)
Desc Text/CADW/Ancient monuments and archaeological areas act/2007
Related PRNs : 01070.11w, 34521, 02989.1w, 01070w
October 1, 2016, 8:36 pm
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: email@example.com Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2016 (and in part © Crown,