The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

VENALLT IRON WORKS

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 01124w
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Blaengwrach
NGR : SN864050
Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Iron works
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
The Venallt Ironworks, located at Cwmgwrach, was one of several anthracite ironworks founded in the Neath Valley using the hot-blast process, in operation between 1839-42, and out of use by 1854.


Description :
The Venallt Ironworks, located at Cwmgwrach, was one of several anthracite ironworks founded in the Neath Valley using the hot-blast process (then recently introduced at Ynyscedwyn). Venallt was in operation between 1839-42, and out of use by 1854. The site, despite later-use as a patent fuel works, which lead to the demolition of some features, nonetheless retains important and impressive remains and extensive works
buildings; including an engine house, charging platform, hearth and twin tuyere nozzles. The engine house is particularly fine, surviving to roof height, and retaining the base of its chimney stack and a block of slag with two tuyeres on the site of the furnace. The adjoining Venallt Farmhouse was originally the company shop and offices, and may also have housed the ironworks manager.

Sources :
02/Desc Text/Cadw/Full Management Report/2005/Copy in further information file.
Forest Enterprise Welsh Heritage Assets Project Phase III
03/Desc Text/Cadw/Full Management Report /11/01/2007/Copy in further information file.

Events :
E000054 : Field visit, Venallt Ironworks (year : 2004)

Related PRNs : 04298w, 04299w, 04295w, 04301w, 04296w


September 30, 2014, 9:53 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).