The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
CHEPSTOW CASTLEPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 01173g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Site Type : Castle
Period : Medieval
Community : Chepstow
NGR : ST5333094113
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument , listed building I
Watching brief at Chepstow Castle (GGAT 94/075) produced four areas of archaeological material, these being predominantly masonry in composition.
GGAT REPORT NO.94/075 CHEPSTOW CASTLE WATCHING BRIEF Summary
During this Watching Brief on the excavation of a cable trench, excavated by Swalec, within the scheduled area of Chepstow Castle, four areas produced archaeological material.
The first was located south of the Lower Bailey and consisted of collapsed masonry with attached mortar. This is most probably the result of collapse from the damaged wall of the Lower Bailey that is currently supported by two buttresses.
The second area was located below the central tower of the Middle Bailey. A masonry wall was identified lying directly underneath the north edge of the current tarmac footpath. Neither the structure or the finds identified a use for this structure.
The third area consisted of a layer of crushed mortar located at the base of the trench, south of the Great Tower. No other features were identified with this structure and no finds were retrieved
from the context.
The last area was located west of the south west tower of the Barbican. A bank is currently visible on the ground and it is believed that this represents the location of a portion of the missing town wall. A large quantity of stone was identified within this
portion of the trench, but no mortar or other material was associated with it.
Phillips notes that Chepstow Castle (also known as Striguil) comprises a large masonry edifice on a natural rock outcrop with no evidence of a motte or an earth/timber construction built on the site. He notes that it is one of the first, if not first stone built castles in Wales and has masonry of Roman origin within the original structure. He suggests that the castleâ€™s position on the river provides an offensive military location guarding the port and waterway into Wales (Philips 2004).
Treboth History Group , 2008 , Castles - Treboth History Group
Williams, D.N. , 1994 , Chepstow Castle: Archaeological Watching Brief
Phillips, N Dr , 2004 , Thesis: Earthwork Castles of Gwent and Ergyng AD 1050 â€“ 1250
CHEPSTOW CASTLE WATCHING BRIEF
E003885 : Chepstow Castle (year : 1994)
E004063 : Earthwork Castles of Gwent and Ergyng AD 1050 â€“ 1250 (year : 2004)
Related PRNs : 4923G
March 8, 2014, 9:11 pm
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown,