The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

PERTH-HIR

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 01498g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Llangattock-vibon-avel
NGR : SO48671592
Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Manor house
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
A survivng stretch of masonry is all that remains of a house belonged to the Herbert family. The wall contains a fine window, probably late 16th century in date. To the E of the masonry remains there is a flat area where the house evidently stood.

Description :
The masonry remains of a house that belonged to the Herberts now only consists of the SW angle where there is a 30ft and a 15ft length of wall standing to a height of 12ft. The W wall contains a fine window of 4 double lights and its stone lintel has ornament carved on its underside, probably late C16th. To the E of the masonry remains there is a flat area where the house evidently stood, and this is bounded on the E by a moat.
It is said to have been formerly surrounded by a moat and provided with 2 drawbridges, to contain 13 upper rooms and a Hall with gallery and vaulted ceiling. A chapel dedicated to St Catherine (1499G) was demolished in 1745.
Ancient tree trunks, hollowed out, have been unearthed, and may have formed part of the water supply system.

Sources :
05/PM Desc Text/Evans CJO/1954/Monmouth History and Topography pp466-7
08/MM Desc Text/Cadw/Whittle E/1987/AM107
09/MM Map/GGAT/Owen-John H/7.12.88/A84.24
07/MM Mention/Clarke S/1983/Monmouth Arch/Newsletter no 19 p9
03/PH Desc Text/Coxe W/1801/Historical Tour of Monmouth pp314-7
06/PM Map/Rees W/1932/S Wales & Border in C14th/SE Sheet
04/PH Desc Text/Bradney JA/1907/History of Monmouth pp29-31
01/MM Mention/Cadw/Buildings of Special Arch of Hist Interest/Rural District of Monm p4
02/MM Record Card/OS/1957/SO 41 NE 2

Events :

Related PRNs : 1499G


November 23, 2014, 1:10 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).