The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
ABERGAVENNY BRIDGEPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 01762g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Site Type : Bridge
Period : Medieval
Community : Llanfoist Fawr
NGR : SO29161392
Legal Protection : listed building II*, registered parks and gardens II*, scheduled ancient monument , listed building II*
A bridge of 7 arches that spans the river Usk, possibly incorparating the remains of an earlier pre-C18th bridge shown as having 13 arches on a map of the area dating from 1760.
Also known as the Usk Bridge, it spans the River Usk and the boundary between Abergavenny and Llanfoist Fawr communities. Formerly known as the Tudor Bridge because it has been recorded as being built by Jasper Tudor, Duke of bedford and Baron Abergavenny in the reign of Henry VI (1422-1461). Although this a medieval river crossing the bridge is stylistically later, ?17th century, and also shows substantial evidence of subsequent alterations. It has been widened in early 19th century associated with the tramroad and more recently the parapets have been rebuilt. Listed (under the name 'Usk Bridge') in 1952 as a fine historic bridge, and a SAM (under the name 'Abergavenny Bridge').
1996/CADW/LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST/THE BOROUGH OF MONMOUTH/LIST No 140/RESURVEY C/THE COMMUNITY OF LLANFOIST FAWR
1834/WATKINS (EIDDIL IFOR)/TE/HANES LLANFFWYST (ENGLISH TRANSLATION WITH FOOTNOTES BY BRADNEY 1922 p33)
Related PRNs :
April 25, 2014, 7:39 am
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: email@example.com Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown,