The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

CAPEL NEWYDD

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 02079g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Blaenavon
NGR : SO27010767
Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Chapel
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
The chapel was of rectangular form, measuring internally about 32ft x 16ft. Whithin the chapel was debris and an old bell.
The chapel figures on maps published in the first decade of the C17th and it is mentioned in a deed of 1628. It was possibly buil

Description :
The chapel was of rectangular form, measuring internally about 32ft x 16ft. Whithin the chapel was debris and an old bell.
The chapel figures on maps published in the first decade of the C17th and it is mentioned in a deed of 1628. It was possibly built prior to the Reformation.
By the year 1863 Capel Newydd had ceased to be used, and in c1904 only the foundations of the walls were to be seen.
The remains of the chapel are orientated E-W and consist of grass covered banks which show a stone content. The banks average 2.5m wide and .4m high. There are no visible remains of an entrance. The interior is grass covered. At the E end is a small modern cross and calvary on which is incised 'Capel Newydd before 1577.'

Sources :
02/PM List/Cadw/1994/SAM Lists
01/MM Record Card/OS/1957

Events :

Related PRNs :


December 20, 2014, 10:17 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).