The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

CWM LLANWENARTH TRAMROAD BRIDGE

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 02349g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Site Type : Bridge
Period : Post-Medieval
Community : Llanfoist Fawr
NGR : SO2596313347
Legal Protection : listed building II, scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
Tramroad built to carry Bailey's Tramroad across Cwm Llanwenarth, built by Crawshaw Bailey and opened in 1821 from Nantyglo Ironworks to the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal at Govilon.

Description :
Tramroad bridge situated to the southwest of Govilon and the disused railway line. Located in woodland and spanning the stream that runs down Cwm Llanwenarth valley. Built to carry Bailey's Tramroad across Cwm Llanwenarth, built by Crawshaw Bailey and opened in 1821 from Nantyglo Ironworks to the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal at Govilon. The line of the tramroad at this point followed a loop along the contour of the valley. It was superseded when the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Branch line opened in 1862. It consists of a substantial tramroad bridge built of local coursed rubble. The semicircular arch has dressed stone voussoirs and the parapets are swept out at either end. It is now overgrown. Listed in 1996 for its special interest as a surviving early 19th century tramroad bridge.

Sources :
1996/CADW/LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST/THE BOROUGH OF MONMOUTH/LIST No 140/RESURVEY C/THE COMMUNITY OF LLANFOIST FAWR
1990/HUGHES/S/THE BRECON FOREST TRAMROADS/RCAHMW/p322
1980/RATTENBURY/G/TRAMROADS OF THE BRECKNOCK AND ABERGAVENNY CANAL/p53

Events :

Related PRNs :


July 25, 2014, 1:39 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).