The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
PWLL DU TRAMROAD TUNNEL SOUTHERN APPROACHPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 04692.0g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Blaenavon
NGR : SO24850984
Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Tramway tunnel
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument
Pwll du Tunnel carried Hill's tramroad from Blaenavon Ironworks through the mountain to Pwll du, connecting it with the Pwll du limestone quarries, Garnddyrys Forge and the Brechnock and Abergavenny Canal. The tunnel probably originated as a mining leve
Pwll du Tunnel carried Hill's tramroad from Blaenavon Ironworks through the mountain to Pwll du, connecting it with the Pwll du limestone quarries, Garnddyrys Forge and the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal. The tunnel probably originated as a mining level which by 1800 already extended 3/4 of a mile into the mountain. It was connected through to Pwll du by c1815 when it began use as tramroad replacing the former mountain route from the quarries to the Ironworks. The route extended to the canal by 1821 and continued in sue until the 1860s.
The S entrance formerly had a portal known as the Marble Arch, but only a half-buried arch-ring is now visible.
The scheduled area includes the cutting from where it is blocked just N of Garn Road to the break of slope above the cutting and the tunnel entrance, and includes the lane to Tunnel Houses together with the house ruin and the fields the lane encloses.
The South portal of the tunnel was excavated and restored to reflect its appearance at the end of its use, which appeared to be late Victorian/Edwardian, rather than the original early 19th Century. It was constructed in refractory brick with black mortar pointing. This is supported by the fact that there are at least two phases of activity in the trackbed.
The conservation work consisted of the removal of defective brickwork and the tunnel reconstructed using materials and plans deemed honest, appropriate and sympathetic to the design.
Cadw , Application for Scheduled Monument Consent
Birmingham Archaeology , 2010 , Forgotten Landscape Project: Implementation Phase 1 Blaenavon Gwent: Archaeological Watching Brief
01/MM List/Cadw/1995/SAM Lists
E003069 : Pwll Du Tunnel, Southern Portal, Blaenavon WB (year : 2009)
E003574 : Forgotten Landscapes Project (year : 2010)
E003575 : Pwll Du Tunnel South Portal, Blaenavon (year : 2010)
Related PRNs :
November 27, 2014, 5:26 am
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown,