The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
PWLL DU TRAMROAD TUNNEL NORTHERN ENTRANCES AND LOWER BANKPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 04693g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Llanfoist Fawr
NGR : SO24531168
Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Tramway tunnel
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument
Pwll du Tunnel carried Hill's tramroad from Blaenavon Ironworks through the mountain to Pwll du, connecting it with the Pwll du limestone quarries, Garnddyrys Forge and the Brechnock and Abergavenny Canal. The tunnel probably originated as a mining leve
Pwll du Tunnel carried Hill's tramroad from Blaenavon Ironworks through the mountain to Pwll du, connecting it with the Pwll Du limestone quarries, Garnddyrys Forge and the Brechnock and Abergavenny Canal. The tunnel probably originated as a mining level which by 1800 already extended 3/4 of a mile into the mountain. It was connected through to Pwll Du by c1815 when it began use as tramroad replacing the former mountain route from the quarries to the Ironworks. The route extended to the canal by 1821 and continued in use until the 1860s.
There were 2 tunnel entrances at the N end, each emerging just E of the metaled road. The more N has a stone portal (walled up) and short approach cutting. The S portal appears as a limestone wall roughly 50m to the SE, the arch being covered by soil.
The area includes the Tunnel House and the lines of tracks and tramroads.
01/MM List/Cadw/1994/SAM Lists
Related PRNs : 4692G
March 29, 2015, 9:31 am
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: firstname.lastname@example.org Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2015 (and in part © Crown,