The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

CLYDACH COAL LEVELS

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 05896g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Site Type : Level
Period : Post-Medieval
Community : Brynmawr
NGR : SO2007112178
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
A pair of well preserved and dated coal levels with a tramroad connection to the Clydach Railroad.

Description :
"A pair of well preserved and dated coal levels with a tramroad connection to the Clydach Railroad. The levels were owned and operated by the Brecon Boat Company, the principal trader on the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal, to which the Clydach Railroad was completed in 1795. The Brecon Boat Company was granted permission to build a branch from Clydach Bridge to their new colliery nearby on 19 November 1812, at a cost of ?75. The line was built across part of the River Clydach, which was diverted through a tunnel to allow free access to the two level mouths. The tunnel for the river, the tramroad embankment, and the two levels are still clearly visible. Both levels are open and can be seen to be rock cut and unlined, but that further to the east was refronted as part of the retaining wall of the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway in 1862. The scheduled area is bounded by the top of the embankment on the north and by the boundary fence of the railway to the south. Of national importance as well preserved examples of dated early coal levels with an associated tramroad formation and river tunnel."
FO:"The entrance to the eastern level (Level I, SO 20071 12178) is a stone-built arch some 5.0m wide and 1.5m high with a modern safety grill. The site currently flooded. The entrance to the western level (Level II, SO 20029 12252) is 4.0m wide and 1.5m high. The level is cut into the shale outcrop and dips steeply to the south. The level is almost completely filled by collapsed roof material." (01)

Sources :
01. Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council (2003), Blaenau Gwent Heritage Audit: Interim Report 2002-2003, Heritage section
02. W Scandrett, Old Tredegar, Vol.1, 1990
03/Desc Text/Cadw/ Full Management Report/2006/ Copy in further information file

Events :

Related PRNs :


August 27, 2014, 10:49 am - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).