The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an
The following information is from the
on-line database Archwilio
OLD COAL PITS, BLAENAVONPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 07826g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Blaenavon
NGR : SO24400953
Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Coal workings
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument
Two of the oldest colliery shafts in the Blaenavon Ironworks mineral field, open and in their original condition, possibly dating to the 1790's.
Two of the oldest colliery shafts in the Blaenavon Ironworks mineral field, open and in their original condition. The Old Coal Pits shafts were recorded as existing by 1812 and may date from the 1790s. They worked the Old Coal Seam and by 1829 were connected to the Upper River Row Drift. From 1863 they ventilated the workings of Cinder Pit. In their earlier phase, Old Coal Pits are believed to have been wound by water power, and the dry reservoir lies on the other side of the road to the north-west (outside the scheduled area). Their circular form and pairing suggests that they were driven by waterwheel rather than a water-balance. The shafts are lined in stone within a few feet of the top, above which they are brick, and are understood to be 235ft (71.63m) deep. They are protected by tall brick walls, probably built in the 1940's and can be seen only from a ladder. The scheduled area extends around the outside of the brick walls, in a rectangle roughly 8m x 16m. Of national importance as well as documented early shafts in excellent condition and for their association with Blaenavon Ironworks.
Related PRNs :
April 23, 2017, 11:47 am
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: email@example.com Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2017 (and in part © Crown,