The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

HILL'S TRAMROAD INCLINES

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 07835.0g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Site Type : Inclined plane
Period : Post-Medieval
Community : Llanfoist Fawr
NGR : SO27721267
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
An important group of counterbalanced inclined planes carrying Hill's Tramroad from it's level section on the Blorenge to the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal wharf at Llanfoist.

Description :
An important group of counterbalanced inclined planes carrying Hill's Tramroad from it's level section on the Blorenge to the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal wharf at Llanfoist. The tramroad was built by the proprietors of Blaenavon Ironworks to carry coal, limestone and iron to the canal and to the Llanvihangel Railway in Llanfoist. Land acquisition for the tramroad route began in September 1817 and the tramroad was referred to as recently formed in November 1818. The tramroad was a 2ft gauge plateway with stone sleeper blocks. The drop from an altitude of 375m at the level tramroad to120m at the wharf, in three sections. Each incline had a brake wheel at the top and a turnout at the bottom. The positions of three brake wheels and two turn outs exist, with the likelihood of good below-ground preservation. Retaining walls and archways are visible in several places. The formation of the incline with cut and fill, embankments and cuttings, and many stone sleeper blocks, are visible throughout. The scheduled area includes the revetted marshalling yard on the tramroad at the top, and the three inclines. It is broken near the bottom of the second incline to exclude a modern track and water pumphouse, and at the bottom of the third incline to exclude a recently levelled working area. Designated of national importance as a well preserved and historically significant group of inclines associated with the scheduled sites at Garnddyrys Forge, Blaenavon Ironworks, Pwll du tunnel and Pwll du Quarry. NMR Nos 91648-91650.

Sources :

Events :

Related PRNs :


April 24, 2014, 11:16 am - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).