The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

BLAENAVON UPPER BRICK YARD

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 08117g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Site Type : Brickyard
Period : Post-Medieval
Community : Blaenavon
NGR : SO251096
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument

Summary :
The site and surviving earthworks of the main brick yard serving Blaenavon Ironworks. The brickworks consisted of drying sheds, brick making sheds and kilns. Located on southern edge of a large area of clay pits served by tramroads, paths and coal levels

Description :
The site and surviving earthworks of the main brick yard serving Blaenavon Ironworks. Fire bricks were needed in vast quantities to line furnaces and for other purposes, and the Blaenavon company had a large brickmaking operation. This site, a short distance up hill from the works, was shown on the Blaenavon map of 1814 and may have been built as early as 1788. It was shown still in operation on the OS 25' map of 1920. The brickworks consisted of drying sheds, brick making sheds and kilns. This was located on the southern edge of a large area of clay pits served by tramroads, pathways and coal levels. The clay pits remain intact in a complex landscape, and cottage walls adjacent to the brickworks itselt are made of waste bricks and tuyeres. Other wasters are found throughout the southern pan of the site. The brickworks itself was demolished around the 1960s, but it is likely that substantial foundations remain. The scheduled area is bounded on the east by the verge of the Abergavenny Road, on the south by the northern boundary wall of the former Brickyard House, on the west by the foot of tips and the enclosure or Cwm-dwfn, and on the north by the field boundaries and track to New House. (02)

The site and surviving earthworks of the main brick yard serving Blaenavon Ironworks. Fire bricks were needed in vast quantities to line furnaces and for other purposes, and the Blaenavon company had a large brick-making operation. This site, a short distance up hill from the works, was shown on the Blaenavon map of 1814 and may have been built as early as 1788. It was shown still in operation on the OS 25" map of 1920. The brickworks consisted of drying sheds, brick-making sheds and kilns. This was located on the southern edge of a large area of clay pits served by tramroads, pathways and coal levels. The clay pits remain intact in a complex landscape, and cottage walls adjacent to the brickworks itself are made of waste bricks and tuyeres. Other wasters are found throughout the southern part of the site. The brickworks itself was demolished around the 1960s, but it is likely that substantial foundations remain. The scheduled area is bounded on the east by the verge of the Abergavenny Road, on the south by the northern boundary wa1l of the former Brickyard House, on the west by the foot of tips and the enclosure of Cwm-dwfn, and on the north by the field boundaries and track to New House. Of national importance as a little-altered group of clav pits with archaeological potential for remains of the brickworks itself, and for group value in association with Blaenavon Ironworks and other features of the Blaenavon World Heritage Site. (01)

Sources :
01/Pm list/CADW SAM/2002
02/Pm List/CADW site visit/P Wakelin/2001

Events :

Related PRNs :


July 31, 2014, 5:34 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2014 (and in part © Crown, 2014).