The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an
The following information is from the
on-line database Archwilio
ROYAL NAVAL PROPELLANT FACTORY STATIC FIRING BAYPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 09016g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Caerwent
NGR : ST4779792114
Site Type (preferred type first) : Modern ROCKET TEST FACILITY
Legal Protection : scheduled ancient monument , listed building II
The monument comprises the remains of a static firing bay facility at the former Royal Naval Propellant Factory's Guided Weapons Scheme Unit (now MOD) Caerwent. Built in 1959 for purposes relating to the Gosling rocket.
The monument comprises the remains of a static firing bay facility at the former Royal Naval Propellant Factory's Guided Weapons Scheme Unit (now MOD) Caerwent. It was built and commissioned in 1959 for proof of concept, investigation and manufacturing control purposes relating to the Gosling rocket booster engines used to power the Royal Navy's Sea Slug surface-to-air missiles (01).
The installation consists of the static firing bay, cubicle building, access road and concrete apron, together with the surrounding earthen bunds. The closure of the entire establishment was announced in 1965 and the production and testing of the Gosling rocket motors ceased in 1966, being transferred to the Royal Ordnance Factory at Bishopston by 1967 (01).
01/Desc Text/Cadw/New entry to the schedule of monuments/13/02/08. Copy in further information file.
Related PRNs :
August 30, 2016, 2:53 pm
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: email@example.com Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2016 (and in part © Crown,